Sunday 11 March 2012

Date #1: The Mouth-Watering One

If we don't start, it's certain that we can't arrive.
-Zig Ziglar

I guess what Ziglar means is that until we begin exploring, we will never be able to say that we have truly "experienced" or arrived. So let us get started! It will be our first day in Tunisia. After a long flight, we will finally land in Tunisia's capital, Tunis. I'm crossing my fingers that the time change and jet lag won't be too difficult for us to handle, because I know myself...the minute we arrive, I'll be jumping out of my seat, anxious to begin exploring. I crave adventure, remember?
The first day will be a rather lazy one. We will explore the Old Medina of Tunis (the city's old quarter) which is filled with elements of Tunisian history and culture. Contrary to what my fellow travellers will want to do, I will force them to accompany me as I stroll through the endless, uneven streets and alleys of the Medina markets, hopefully picking up a few souvenirs along the way. But I'll still want more. I'll want to explore the non-tourist sections as a way of embracing the true Tunisian culture almost from an 'insider's' view.

Markets sell anything from clothing and artwork to souvenirs and fresh food.
At the end of today, I will pick the first date off of my date palm. Just by the looks of it, it makes my mouth water. This is exactly the feeling I will get after experiencing day #1 of my trip. It's almost as if I've gotten a small taste of what Tunisia is, but my mouth is watering for more. And more is just what I will get...

Your Date-Picker,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment