Wednesday 7 March 2012

Dates # 7-9: The Sweet Ones

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. -Ronald Reagan


Yes President Reagan, this "music" you speak of...that's my vacation, and vacations to me, are like the gateway to a new and refreshing life! They have a lasting effect on you and will change some part of you forever.  


Moving forward, the next three days of our vacation will be spent in the well known, more southern city of Djerba. After three days of non-stop adventure in Douz, I am quite sure everyone will be wanting (and deserving) a break! Now, this break won't just be ANY break, but it will be pure relaxation, serenity, and peace at its finest. I'm talking about the "people-waiting-on-you, never-want-this-to-end" kind of treatment you can get at a five star luxurious hotel...such as the Ulysse Thalasso in Djerba. Its astonishing beauty took my breath away when researching (not to mention its wide variety of spa treatments and restaurants).  Unlike when I'm home, I am going to treat myself to massages, beauty products and remarkably-tasting food without any guilt whatsoever. You may wonder why...and my answer to you will be, because who doesn't like to be endlessly pampered, while stuffing their faces with all things sweet? 


Breath-taking beauty.
Oh, by the way fellow date-pickers, did I mention my ABSOLUTE OBSESSION with food? Maybe I forgot to touch on it thus far. When in Djerba, I am making a point out of eating! I've been exposed to Tunisian cuisine all my life because of my Tunisian cultural roots, yet I am curious to see what more they can offer, and what more I can gain by devouring their traditional dishes (Other than a few pounds of course!). 


Why is food one of my favourite things? Well that's easy...
1. It makes me happy and cures anything.
2. It triggers my senses and memory.
3. Food is family.  


The familiar taste of couscous (my personal favourite), Brik, and Shakshouka will flood my brain and senses with childhood memories of my family. And even though my whole family won't be with me when traveling, tasting the food will be my way of bringing them along in spirit. It'll be as if they're all with me at that very moment. So yes, in a sense, to me, food=love. 


My personal favourite, couscous!

Shakshouka= memories of breakfast with my grandma.

Brik=memories of family parties. 
And just because I can't wait to taste the 'real' Tunisian couscous, I've been trying out many recipes in preparation for my trip. In case anyone wants to make  it one day I found a great link to an easy recipe:






So, three days of being waited on from head to toe, eating until I explode, and reminiscing with my family-about my family-sounds about right! In my opinion, a vacation should be about making new memories, while at the same time, remembering treasured old ones. That's exactly what this trip will be. 
How will the dates I eat at the end of these three days taste? They will be sweet, just like the memories I elicit through taste, and that much-anticipated morning after my long list of spa treatments! 


Your Date-Picker,
Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment