Thursday 8 March 2012

Dates #4-6: The Ones I almost choked on...

Adventures are to the adventurous. -Benjamin Disraeli

Good morning all! It's day #4 of our Tunisian journey, and it is time to leave Tunis for Douz, the remarkable city in the southwest quarter of Tunisia. Douz, known for its handcraft markets, delicious food, and cheap dates (yay!!), is sometimes referred to as the "Gateway to the Desert."

The bus trip to Douz will take about 8 hours, but the destination is well worth the trek. Along the way, we'll stop to take in the culture and food, while entering the door to the Sahara desert. Our plan is to spend three days here (2 are needed for travel days). One of the first things we will do is embark on a tour of the desert. The idea of traveling as a group through sand dunes, either by camel, a 4x4 jeep, or by foot, is a real thrill for me, and makes me feel like I'm in a movie.

A trek through the desert is just what I need to awaken my senses of exploration!
 Speaking of movies, did you know that most of the Star Wars films were actually filmed in the Tunisian desert? Ya, I was shocked too! In Douz, you can even take a special Star Wars tour to see some film sites first hand. The two cousins I am travelling with are fans of Star Wars, so depending on our timing, I may just allow them to take the tour...

Luke Skywalker was here!
While in Douz, we will be spending two nights at the luxurious Hotel Sahara Douz, where we will enjoy excellent accommodation and fantastic Tunisian cuisine. 

Talk about luxury in this hotel lobby! Great Architecture!
 After three days in Douz, I will have picked dates #4, 5, and 6. You'll never believe what will happen. From all of the excitement and adventures through the unknown, I will have almost choked on my dates! That's exactly how I will be feeling after these three days in Douz...so excited that I will have almost choked! Get me some water, quick!

Your Date-Picker,
Melissa 


No comments:

Post a Comment